Saturday, February 14, 2009

Postpartum Health and Bipolar Disorder

When I started this journey, I desperately wanted to prove that a woman with a mental illness could have both healthy children and manage her illness. So far, I think I have succeeded. That's not to say that it hasn't been challenging. It has. But, I think I have narrowed down a few things that have helped me throughout the journey. Those ingredients for mental health have been provided by a large village of people.

The first ingredient is my incredibly supportive and loving husband. He has been my safety net. He catches me everytime I fall. He has developed a true understanding of my emotional challenges. He has learned what to say, how to say it, and, more importantly, when to say it.

The second ingredient includes my team of mental health professionals. I see my psychotherapist weekly and she has been available by phone at any hour of the day or night. She works closely with my psychiatrist who has extensive experience treating bipolar patients who want to become parents.

Of course, psychiatrists are only as good as the medications they prescribe. Throughout my pregnancy, I was on 100 mg Zoloft and 100 mg Seroquel. Postpartum, I continued those two drugs (reducing the Seroquel to 25 mg so I could wake up for night feedings) and added Gabapentin. In addition, I take DHA and EPA (Omega-3s) and prenatal vitamins. More importantly, I always take my meds. Always.

Finally, I breastfeed and practice attachment parenting. The breastfeeding induced hormones help keep me balanced and reduced the effects of the postbirth hormone changes on my mood.

This has what has worked for me. Bipolar women can be moms. We can have healthy children and we can stay healthy too.

18 comments:

Sarah said...

so happy for you healthy mom and your healthy baby

Veronika said...

I've always believed in you!

Cibele said...

I am so proud of you!

Me said...

I'm glad it's all working out well.

I was under the impression that lower doses of Seroquel were more likely than higher ones to affect sleep. DP takes 100mg at night (after a psychosis in late 2007) and it knocks her out. She still wakes a few times at night for the toilet, but the kids rarely wake her. I don't know how much of that is seroquel and how much is MS though.

Alexicographer said...

I've come by from time to time to see if you've updated, and always hoping you're OK. Seeing Akeeyu's latest post only made me hope that doubly so. In short, I hope you and your family are thriving.

Aurelia said...

Hi there,

Wondering how you are doing....you okay? Please update us a bit!

Kayla Joy said...

hi-randomly stumbled upon your blog. I was just diagnosed with bipolar and almost started crying when I saw your baby. I'm so afraid of getting pregnant...and so afraid of not ever getting to be mom. Your blog encouraged me, and also made me laugh. Please keep writing.

Unknown said...

Hi,

You are receiving this email based on the value I feel your website and the services you offer from your website holds. As the Chief Editor for Counselor.org I continually strive to find the best resources I feel are relevant to what we offer (FREE information), and make sure these resources are available to my users as well. I would like to commend you for the work you have put into your website and offer you the possibility of being included as a Featured Resource on Counselor.org. Please understand this is done for two reasons: First and Foremost I feel your website would offer an excellent service to my viewing public and would be a great addition to what is commonly considered one of the larger counseling informational databases online. Secondly, I see a ton of value in your website and would be pleased to have some exposure on your website as well. Please understand this offer is not given to many and will not be revisited in the future. I have included our Counseling Network Resources for your review, I can send the code to you at your request. Please reply with your relevant "Link" information and site description, as always I welcome all questions or thoughts, Thank you for the time it has taken to read this.

Thank You,
Samantha Burner
Counselor.org

Anonymous said...

Being lonely in a crowded room. Feeling sad and not knowing why, not being able to sleep, waking up in the morning not being able to move, giving up your life out of no choice, crying for no reason, making a demon appear in your head. Listen to its horrid world making your life spin in circles not knowing what path to take. The dead end of a road. The coffee black peice in your soul, not resting till the end of time, never leting it forget you, eating your soul, mind and heart. Try to run as you will, you life will be taken. Draging you one foot at a time into hell. The suicide you wish you could have just to end the pain. Pity when you hate others sympathy. Self hatred, sadness, anger, darkness, deadly, lonely, sorrowing, regreting, perpetual, and killing. Giving up your dreams to be stuck in the enternal force of demonic gravity. It is a world. It is my life.

http://forbiddenregrets.blogspot.com

Dino said...

just popped by to see how you are and how life is as a mom

Unknown said...

Trying to deal with this horrendous cycle of being on the medication and getting off the medications is the biggest challenge that bipolar individuals and their families have to deal with on a daily basis.
Reference:
lamictal withdrawal

lamictal side effects

allen said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
allen said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
allen said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
allen said...

The coffee black peice in your soul, not resting till the end of time, never leting it forget you, eating your soul, mind and heart. Try to run as you will, you life will be taken. Draging you one foot at a time into hell.
shower tub

KC said...

Hi. I really enjoyed my brief visit on your site and I’ll be sure to be back for more.
Can I contact your through your email?

Please email me back.

Thanks!
Kevin
kevincollins1012 gmail.com

Kelly said...

So happy for you. Be happy always.

Anonymous said...

Hey

I was checking out some of the articles on your site and found this post about the topic eg (skincare) & I really loved it

http://crazyenoughtotry.blogspot.com/

Even we have a similar kind of article which I am sure you & your reader will love it.

It will be a great help for us if you can add https://crystalglow.in/all-you-need-to-know-about-crystal-glow-advanced-brightening-cream/
On your website.

It might be worth a mention in your article.

Either way, keep up the awesome work

Add to Technorati Favorites